Chairs: Turner Bohlen & Cory Hernandez
The UA has realized that, as can be seen by recent events, it is necessary to directly address the issues of communication and transparency between the MIT administration (e.g., the Division of Student Life and the Dean for Undergraduate Education) and the undergraduate student body.
While a precedent has existed at MIT encouraging collaboration between these bodies (i.e., the administration and the undergraduate student body), few clear methods for soliciting student input and maintaining communication exist. Further, those that do exist have not been used effectively.
To address these issues, the UA Ad Hoc Committee on Student-Administrator Collaboration has been created as a temporary committee of the UA, consisting of six undergraduate students who will work in collaboration with select appropriate administrators, with the specific charge outlined below.
The committee will solicit student input via various methods, including, but not limited to, student forums across campus, surveys, emails, and focus groups.
The charge of the UA Ad Hoc Committee on Student-Admin Collaboration is to:
1) Collect information regarding the current standard of communication between undergraduates and administrators as well as clearly stated reasons for the recent actions and reactions by administrators and students;
2) Contact leaders in both the administration and in the undergraduate student body to discuss key points that should be addressed in a new, written standard for communication;
3) Contact undergraduate students and administrators throughout this process to engage them and solicit their feedback;
4) Write a carefully worded statement delineating a minimum expected level of, and method for, maintaining transparency between undergraduates and administrators; and
5) Present that statement to at least both the UA Council and administrators who will be expected to use it regularly – particularly the Senior Associate Dean of Residential Life and Dining, the Dean for Student Life, the Dean for Undergraduate Education, and the Chancellor.
|Turner Bohlen, Co-Chair
||UA Special Projects Committee, Co-Chair
|Cory Hernandez, Co-Chair
||Course 17 & 21
||Sigma Kappa / Off Campus
||Phi Sigma Kappa
Internal Meeting Notes
Below are notes for meetings with just SAC members.
External Meeting Notes
Below are notes for meetings between SAC members and various administrators/staff members.
- Meeting notes to be posted
Last updated: Dec. 3, 2013, 6:09 p.m. by email@example.com